Sunday, March 2, 2014

Pumpkin Crepes

Pumpkin Crepes

It's been a few months since I've posted. Life gets busy and sometimes it's hard to pick things up after you've put them down. A while back when we had less than 8 hours of daylight, I had a craving for pumpkin crepes. Having picked up a can of pumpkin the week before, I thought I'd try making them for Sunday brunch. It's difficult for my husband and I to eat any meal other than dinner together because of work and gym schedules so Sunday is brunch day. It's just nice to sit down and have breakfast together without having to run off to work, whether that breakfast is a simple dish of scrambled eggs at home or a rare venture out.

I initially wanted traditional crepes with a pumpkin cream cheese filling but seeing as I was out of cream cheese, I opted for pumpkin flavored crepes. I used the crepe recipe from two tarts and had great success. The recipe requires the batter to sit for 30 minutes, which was time spent making a pumpkin spiced whipped cream, sea salt caramel sauce, and of course cleaning up the mess I was making. 

Pumpkin Crepes (10 - 12 crepes)
Ingredients

1 cup of pumpkin puree
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
lukewarm water (recipe calls for 1/2 cup - I add as needed after batter rested)
4 eggs
1 tbsp unsalted butter (recipe calls for 4 tbsp in batter plus more for coating the pan - I felt the first batch was a bit too oily for my tastes)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Directions
1) Two Tarts instructs you to put everything in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. I mixed all of my dry ingredients together, and then slowly added milk, then eggs and finally the pumpkin puree. Let the batter stand for 30 minutes.
2) Mix the batter and adjust its consistency, as needed with lukewarm water. If you've never made crepes, the batter consistency is thinner than pancakes
3) Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat (I use an electric crepe pan). Coat the pan with butter and our about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Immediately lift pan and rotate to coat the pan with a thin, even layer of batter. Cook until the top is set and carefully flip with a spatula. Cook until the underside is lightly browned.
4) Remove from heat and dress with toppings. I drizzled some sea salt caramel sauce with a dollop of fresh whipped cream with pumpkin spices.

Note on pumpkin spiced whipped cream:
This is one of those things I literally throw together on a whim. I start with 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream which I whip until I get stiff peaks. I then fold in about 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves and 1/2 tsp of ginger. I opted not to use sugar to balance out the sweetness from the pumpkin and the salted caramel sauce. This is definitely one of those taste and adjust to your liking toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment