Monday, August 12, 2019

Miso-Base Marinade

It's been a while since my last post. Rather than documenting via blog, I've got Post-Its with scribbled recipes stuck near my kitchen prep area. Moving forward, I plan on keeping the introductions short and get right to the recipes. 

I love the Umami 33 Game Day marinade. It's a miso-based, savory and spicy marinade that we've used on chicken, flank steak, tri tip and salmon. I didn't have enough marinade while meal prepping one afternoon, and decided to make an Umami 33-inspired marinade with ingredients I had at home. There's a bit of ingredient overlap with a few differences. 

Miso-Base Marinade (a.k.a. my fake Umami 33 marinade)

4 tbsp red miso paste
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp gochujang (or 1 - 2 tsp of Sriracha) to achieve desired heat

This recipe makes 1/2 cup of marinade. Due to the thick consistency of miso paste, I start with the miso paste and slowly blend in other liquid components before the solids. Add more water (1 tsp at a time) if you want a less viscous marinade.

Store refrigerated. I typically use within 2 weeks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment